Saturday, October 25, 2008

I managed to cut and sew 14 of these hexagon blocks for the Christmas stack n whack quilt. Had to cut 194 triangles for the blocks and the pieces to join all the blocks together.

Just for those of you who visit this blog, I will be away for a week. Happy Quilting!!

This is my friend's Honey Bee block. We are using the same pattern but with different fabrics. She is using plain fabric as her background. This Honey Bee block really stands out!

Monday, October 20, 2008

Yesterday, I finished sewing all the Honey Bee blocks. I made 17 blocks but have yet to applique the bees.
This morning, I had to cut 448 triangles. I joined two triangles on the block opposite each other. I finished 83 blocks so another 90 blocks to go! LOL

Saturday, October 18, 2008

This one is also very pretty! I would like to show off all the blocks but there are 173 of them! LOL If you have not tried making a kaleidoscope quilt, I hope this project of mine will inspire you!! I have to finish piecing all the Honey Bee blocks before I can carry on with this project. Last Monday, I managed to find the remaining fabrics to complete this project. Can't wait to finish this quilt!!!

Look at the kaleidoscope effect on this block.
This is nice pattern.

This is pretty!!

Look how this turn out!!
This is another block. Love the green leaves with the red effect in between.
This is one of the blocks I've done. It is interesting how a single fabric can have so many different patterns once you stack, cut and sew them together!! For this quilt, I made 173 blocks already and each one look different. Although there are so many blocks to sew, I finished sewing the blocks in just a few days because I can't wait to see how each of the individual block turn out!!

Stack N Whack Kaleidoscope

If you read my first posting in my blog, I mentioned I have a Stack N Whack project just waiting to be finished! This is my first project using this pattern. I went with my sister to a workshop in May. I picked this Christmas fabric. The cut is at a 60 degree angle and the triangles are 3 inches. Before cutting the fabric, you have to find the repeat of the pattern before deciding the degree angle and the triangle size. Then you have to stack the material on top of each other. For my pattern, I have to stack 6 layers.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Finished a Honey Bee block! I was busy with other things so I just find whatever time I have to at least make a sample block! I think it turn out quite nice! LOL I havent decide on the size of the quilt though! I didn't do a good job on the applique! I was doing this while waiting for my husband at the doctor's and I forgot to bring extra needles! The one I was using was quite blunt! (...ahemmm just an excuse for the bad applique)!! LOL

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Honey Bee Quilt

I saw Quayquilter's Honey Bee quilt and was very taken with it!!! It's very beautiful. So I thought of adding this quilt pattern into my collection. I contacted Quayquilter and she told me that I might find the Honey Bee pattern online which I did through this website( As for the other applique blocks, I will just look through some books and magazines and hopefully come up with something!! These are the fabrics I bought for the project.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Haminah's quilt

This is Haminah's quilt. She completed it today. I like the way it turned out! Soooo sweet! The Cross Country blocks bring out the color of the quilt. It is interesting to see quilts of the same pattern but made with different color combination. Does anyone out there have the same quilt pattern?? Would really love to see your masterpiece!!! LOL

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Made the dresses for the country dormouse. Simple dresses which can be taken out for wash once in a while. I've also made the arms detachable. I used big safety pins to attach them onto the dresses. The arms are stuff with cotton so I don't think washing them is advisable. Maybe if it's fibrefil then it's ok. I haven't got round to stuffing the other 4 dormouse! But I've already made the bags of pebbles and the bottom plates. Must find some time to do it! LOL

Sunday, October 5, 2008

I've added eyes, nose and whiskers for the dormouse. The original pattern has a tail but I didnt want to make it because it will be covered by the dress eventually. I dont see the need to make it!! I've seen the tail and I can tell you it's a big job to stuff it!! LOL.. I think all of us do that sometimes..change a bit of the original pattern!!

Saturday, October 4, 2008

After cutting out the patterns and sewing them together, the hard part is stuffing it!!! I like to use cotton rather than synthetic stuffing. To make the dormouse as a doorstop, sew a small bag and fill it with marbles or pebbles. Put it in the dormouse and sew the bottom up. It should be heavy as it is a doorstop!

Country Dormouse Doorstop

This pattern was given to me by my cousin, Michelle. I made quite a few of them last year. This project is fun because you can let loose your creativity and dress them up to whatever you fancy! I made two of them a couple of months back but have not dress them up! Two days ago I decided to make 4 more for Christmas. Thinking of giving them away as gifts. :-)

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Luke's quilt

I made this quilt for my husband some time back. I love this simple pattern. It turned out quite nice despite using only 3 different fabrics. The cotton batting makes it easy to quilt. I didnt quilt much just the border and around the blocks. I made one for myself sort of like a matching set but it's stashed away somewhere! I need to find time to quilt it!! If and only if I do find the time to quilt it, I'll put it on the blog!! LOL I would like to make another quilt using the same pattern but put in more colors. I think I should go through all my scraps. I am sure I can find enough material to make one or two more quilts!!! LOL